- griffinjoAsked on January 13, 2015 at 07:18 AM
I'm having trouble getting the Autoresponder email to work. I'm trying to do the following:
1. have someone fill out my form (travel fellowship) which asks for their recommender's email address.
2. when the travel fellowship form is submitted, an autoresponder email is sent to the recommender's email which includes a link for the recommender to fill out and upload their recommendation (Reference form).
3. The link to the Reference form the recommender will receive should have prepopulated fields that are pulled from the Travel Fellowship form.
Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? The test autoresponder email works just fine. But when I test the form, I can't get the autoresponder email to work.
This is a re-post of a comment on Setting up an Autoresponder Email
- BenAnswered on January 13, 2015 at 09:03 AM
Could you please tell us what is the jotform that you have this issue with so that we can test and help you set it up properly?
- griffinjoAnswered on January 13, 2015 at 11:42 AM
The autoresponder email is attached to the "Travel Fellowship" form. When someone fills out that form and hits submit, I want the autoresponder to grab the "recommender's email" that was entered into the Travel Fellowship form and send the recommender an email. That email will have a link to the "Reference letter" form so the recommender can upload a reference letter for the person who completed the Travel Fellowship form. The "Reference letter" form will (hopefully!) pull data from the Travel Fellowship form and pre-populate most of the fields in the "Reference letter" form.
The test email for the autoresponder in the "Travel Fellowship" form works just fine. But when I fill out the form and use my email address as the "recommender email"and hit submit, I don't receive the autoresponder email.
Since I can't get that to work, I can't tell if my pre-populated fields in the "Reference Letter" are working properly.
Thank you for your help!
- BenAnswered on January 13, 2015 at 12:17 PM
I think that I see the problem. You have set the From email to be the same as the receiving email and this is the most likely reason why you did not get the autoresponder email.
I have set it now to email field - the field that holds the email of the person filling out the jotform and this way it should send it.
Do test it and let us know if it works.
- griffinjoAnswered on January 13, 2015 at 12:27 PM
I just tested this using my email address and I didn't receive the autoresponder email (I checked my spam folder and waited a few minutes). I did get the notification that there was a submission, but nothing else.
- BenAnswered on January 13, 2015 at 12:36 PM
I would just like to confirm that you did not use the same email that you are using for your account as the "Recommender email" and "E-mail" field?
If you did, please try using different emails so that the sender is not the same email as from and recommender fields.
Once you do please let us know and we will take a further look into the issue if still present.
- griffinjoAnswered on January 13, 2015 at 12:46 PM
I had been using the same email (the one attached to my jotform account) for all email fields. I just tried the form using a different email for the "recommender email" and then a 3rd email address for the "Email" field. Still no dice. I didn't receive the autoresponder email. Thank you for your continued help!
- BenAnswered on January 13, 2015 at 01:14 PM
OK, thank you for confirmation.
It should usually be different email, which is why I asked.
I found the email now and I see that it was not send due to the error.
What I would suggest is next:
Once you do these steps please try again.
After the step 2 you can also check if you would get the email autoresponder if the sender is set as email@example.com to make sure that there are no other issues.
- griffinjoAnswered on January 13, 2015 at 01:35 PM
It worked! I cleared my cache and entered the Mandrill SMTP back into my settings and it worked without a hitch. I received the autoresponder email with the link to the Reference letter form. The Reference letter form DID pre-populate - so that's working too.
Thank you again! You saved me a lot of time and worry.
- BenAnswered on January 13, 2015 at 01:42 PM
I am glad that it is working for you now :)
Do let us know if you have any further questions or if you might need any help and we would be happy to assist.