What is JotForm?
JotForm is a free online form builder which helps you create online forms without writing a single line of code. No sign-up required.
At JotForm, we want to make sure that you’re getting the online form builder help that you need. Our friendly customer support team is available 24/7.
We believe that if one user has a question, there could be more users who may have the same question. This is why many of our support forum threads are public and available to be searched and viewed. If you’d like help immediately, feel free to search for a similar question, or submit your question or concern.
Currently, Jotform does not hold an HIPAA Compliance Certificate, nevertheless you can use Jotform in HIPAA Compliant way. More details below:
Jotform has a very powerful cloud of secure servers.
This provides security protection against malicious attacks like SQL injection and denial of service (DOS) attacks.
We provide a very high-security level throughout our hosting provider's servers for stored data
Moreover, all of our SSL certificates support high-grade 256-bit encryption.
In that sense, JotForm certainly complies with the technical safeguard section of the HIPAA security rule:
Information systems housing PHI must be protected from intrusion. When information flows over open networks, some form of encryption must be utilized. If closed systems/networks are utilized, existing access controls are considered sufficient and encryption is optional.
For a better explanation on how to be HIPAA compliant using Jotform, you must know that data stored on our servers is not encrypted, but access to our servers is highly safeguarded.
On the other hand, Data transmission from the person who submits their health information to our servers can be done in an encrypted manner, by using the forms securely
So, to be compliant with HIPAA rules, users must follow these advices:
1. Always use SSL (HTTPS) version of JotForm site on your browser. Use "https://www.jotform.com" to login to your account, create your forms, look at your submissions and link to your forms.
2. Edit emails on all forms to make sure no specific information is used on them. We send emails in plain text. So, they are not secure. Only use emails to get alerts to know there is a new submission. Once you receive an email alert, log into the secure JotForm site and then look at the user
3. If you use the Reports feature only do it with password protection. That will both ask for a password, and it will transfer all data over SSL.
4. Same for uploads. They are not password protected.
5. Logout immediate after you are done with the site.
6. Regularly download submissions and then delete them.
That's it! Let us know if you have any further questions.