What is JotForm?
JotForm is a free online form builder which helps you create online forms without writing a single line of code. No sign-up required.
At JotForm, we want to make sure that you’re getting the online form builder help that you need. Our friendly customer support team is available 24/7.
We believe that if one user has a question, there could be more users who may have the same question. This is why many of our support forum threads are public and available to be searched and viewed. If you’d like help immediately, feel free to search for a similar question, or submit your question or concern.
Can I autogenerate a text box with responses?Asked by Scott on May 27, 2015 at 11:22 PM
Hello, I am trying to create a form that will generate instructions for a design program. The responses from the form will autogenerate sentences in a text box. The user can then copy and paste that text box to a designer.
I'm not quite sure how to ask for what I need, so I'll give you an example (user responses Capitalized):
1. Do you like the color of the car?
1.a. What color would you like the left side of the car?
1.b. What color would you like the right side of the car?
2. Do you like the color of the wheels?
3. Do you need a sunroof?
3.a. What kind of sunroof?
These responses would generate the following in a text box:
Please paint the left side of the car blue.
Please paint the right side of the car red.
Please add a round sunroof
(as you can see, question 2 resulted in no text being created)
Is something like this possible with JotForms? Thank you for your time.
That is possible by using our conditional logic. Here's a guide to learn more about it here: http://www.jotform.com/help/57-Smart-Forms-Using-Conditional-Logic.
Here's a test form based from the sample questions that you stated above: http://form.jotformpro.com/form/51471446770962?. See if that's how you would like it to work. I used conditional logic on it. You can clone my form by following this guide: http://www.jotform.com/help/42-How-to-Clone-an-Existing-Form-from-a-URL.
1. I used Radio buttons, Text boxes for the questions.
2. For the responses, I'll use "Text area" fields to output the results there.
3. Now, what we want to do is show/hide fields depending on the selected answers. We will also update the "Text area" fields depending on the user inputs.
4. Here's an example of the response. I'll use the question "1.a". You see here that when question 1.a is filled, it will output the text "Please paint the left side of the car", then we will append or add the value of the text box or the answer of the user by clicking the "Add Field" button and fetching the correct field there.
Note: By default, the values are on numbers, to convert it to a text or string, click "0-9", it will change to "a-z" indicating a string value.
5. Here's a list of conditions that I set up.
I hope that helps. Do let us know if you need more information on this.
Thank you Charlie! Amazing support!
Exactly what I was looking for.
You're most welcome and thank you for your kind words. I'm glad that it helped.
For other concerns or questions, feel free to open a new thread here in the forum.