- questman77Asked on September 21, 2015 at 10:52 PM
Hi. Love your service. Have been using it successfully for awhile now. I just recently updated one of my most used forms and now it's 'broken'. The problem is the conditionals. I have a bunch of questions hidden unless they check off that they're getting certain services from us.
It works perfectly when I test on my computer (Macbook Pro running Chrome). When my wife tries it (PC laptop running Chrome) the questions don't come up when she ticks off the services. I've sent it to others to use and for the majority it's behaving like it is for my wife (i.e. not working). I tested more on my wife's laptop and noticed that if I load the form, hit refresh, and then try it it will work.
Not sure what's going on under the hood but I obviously don't have the means to address the underlying issue from where I'm at. I was hoping there's a fix for this or that it'll help you guys uncover a possible bug.
I'm happy to share any other info you may find useful. Thanks so much!
- JotForm SupportEltonCrisAnswered on September 22, 2015 at 06:07 AM
I was able to reproduce the problem. When I check the page source, it seems your html file doesn't have proper HTML structure as well as document type. This is most probably the reason why. To resolve it, simply add a basic HTML structure before placing the embed code between the body tag.
PUT YOUR FORM EMBED CODE HERE
Hope this helps!
- questman77Answered on September 22, 2015 at 11:12 AM
Thank you SO much for looking into that and figuring it out! I've made the changes. Going to grab my wife's laptop and see if that did the trick. Thanks again! You guys are awesome.
- JotForm SupportEltonCrisAnswered on September 22, 2015 at 12:20 PM
Great! Please do update us whenever you need further help. Cheers!
- questman77Answered on September 23, 2015 at 11:03 AM
So things looked good when I tested on my wife's PC laptop but I just had a client submit a form and it seems the same thing happened. Would you be able to take a look at it now that I've made the suggested updated to the HTML code? Thanks so much in advance.
- JotForm SupportKiranAnswered on September 23, 2015 at 02:55 PM
It seems to be an issue with the length of the form. I'm able to replicate the issue with the form and also a different form. However, when I tried embedded a simple form, it is working fine. Let me forward the issue to our backend team to take a look. If there is any update on the issue, you'll be posted through this thread.
Meanwhile, you may use the iframe embed method which is working fine. You may use the following code to replace existing form embed code on your webpage.
- questman77Answered on September 24, 2015 at 11:08 AM
Thank you, I have replaced the code. Hopefully that does the trick. Thanks again for looking into it.
- JotForm SupportKiranAnswered on September 24, 2015 at 12:11 PM
Great!! I've checked your webpage and it seems to be working fine. If you notice any issue, please do not hesitate to let us know. Since the issue with script embed is already forwarded to our next level support, if there is any update you'll be posted here.
Thank you for using JotForm!!
- questman77Answered on September 25, 2015 at 07:57 PM
Sorry to be a pain, but now nobody is able to submit a form. Everyone says it crashes and I'm not getting any responses (though now the questions are showing up). Help!
- JotForm SupportKiranAnswered on September 26, 2015 at 02:59 AM
Apologies. Accidentally, you have got the Form ID from my account which is a clone of yours in the above embed script. Please replace the URL with yours as shown below :
I've received two submissions on the cloned form and thought some testing was going on. I've also moved the cloned form from my account to your account so that you'll be able to view the submissions received. I've tested the form and seems to be working fine at my end.
Let us know if you still experience any issue. We will be happy to help. Thank you!
- JotForm SupportNicholasWestleyAnswered on October 13, 2015 at 02:01 AM
The problem with code not loading properly on large embedded forms has now been resolved. Sorry for the delay. Please let us know if you continue to have problems.