- Kelly GrayAsked on July 26, 2016 at 05:33 PM
Does your service allow for a credit application form that requests social security numbers? I have an client that is an Auto Broker and wants to have a credit application on their website. I want to make sure it's secure and PCI Compliant.
- JotForm SupportChriistianAnswered on July 26, 2016 at 11:57 PM
I would like to inform you that although we recommend against collecting information such as social security numbers, we do allow the collection of Social Security Numbers to some extent. However, please note that collecting Credit Card information and user credentials is strictly prohibited.
Online form builders, including JotForm, have been used for identity theft in the past. We go to great lengths to prevent this. That is why our Terms will mention SSNs are considered as a Phishing activity. Therefore, when you do request SSNs, chances are that our automated phishing detector will flag the form(s) and suspend the account. If this happens you'll have to contact support to whitelist the form and reactivate the account, explaining the purposes of the form(s).
We recognise that there are businesses that require a Social Security number for legitimate purposes. Nevertheless, you must know that since we do store the information in your account, anyone with access to it would also have access to social security numbers. So, in the event of a security breach of your account, this could be an issue.
If you choose to collect this data, we recommend using best security practices to ensure that the data collected is safe. With that in mind, we encourage you to follow these recommendations:
1. Embed the form using SSL method (http://www.jotform.com/help/63-How-can-I-receive-SSL-Submissions)
2. Use encryption on your forms (Encrypted Forms and How to Use Them)
3. Add a sort agreement and/or an e-signature field to the form, so your customers will agree to provide their SSN along with personal info.
Here are some widgets you can add to the form (signature fields):
If you need further assistance, please let us know.