- collegeplusAsked on August 19, 2016 at 05:44 PM
I have a very complicated form: https://form.jotform.com/62025722290953
this form had some random number/letter generator widgets on it for creating a special type of coupon code.
About a week ago these widgets stopped outputting results of any kind. Since then I have been unable to get the random generator widget to output anything.
On any other form I create they work fine. On CLONES of this form, they work fine. But I cannot get them to work at all on this form itself.
example screencast of problem: http://screencast.com/t/T31NLk37F
example screencast of the exact same process working perfectly on a CLONE of this form: http://screencast.com/t/vhYEicjb1zyA
What could possibly causing this issue? How do I fix or get around it? Please help asap. Thank you!
- JotForm SupportliyamAnswered on August 19, 2016 at 08:11 PM
Can you try removing and saving the widget, refreshing your browser and then add again the same widget in your form? I'm suspecting that there was a cache problem with your form to why it only was happening to this specific form, since as you have said, cloning your own form does not replicate the problem, but only happening on this one.
Please keep us posted.
- collegeplusAnswered on September 15, 2016 at 02:55 PM
I have tried to remove, add, refresh, clear browsing data, and every combination of these things to get this field to work.
I just recently came back to this form to try again, and was unable to have the random generator produce any output. Any further suggestions are appreciated.
- JotForm SupportJim_RAnswered on September 15, 2016 at 06:01 PM
I cleared your Form Cache and checked the actual form within your account. I was able to replicate the same problem and it indeed only happens to this form On my own form(s), and on a clone of your form, the Random Value Generator widget works properly.
I've escalated this to our Devs so they can have a closer look on what's causing the issue. And although I won't be able to give you any timeframe, rest assured, we'll keep you apprised on this same thread if/when there's an update.
- collegeplusAnswered on September 16, 2016 at 10:34 AM
Thank you for escalating the issue. I look forward to hearing about how this shakes out.
I will be on vacation for the next two weeks, but will be checking back in after I return in October.
- JotForm SupportTitusNdokaAnswered on September 26, 2016 at 11:34 PM
You should now be able to use the widget - we fixed the bug.
Please check and let us know - Thanks!
- collegeplusAnswered on November 10, 2016 at 11:09 AM
Hello again. This issue has continued to plague several of our forms over the last months. The issue does manifest slightly differently, but the effect is the same. The random number generator widgets aren't working
the worst form: https://www.jotformpro.com/form/53334560940958
The widgets will work for a while, usually a week or so, then simply stop generating values for seemingly no reason. There are a bunch of random widgets on this form, and almost all of them failed on Tuesday.
Usually what I do to fix this is delete the widgets and then re-add them. But this issue hasn't stopped and so many widgets broke at once that I don't want to spend the time to do this again.
Please tell me there's something you or I can do to fix these widgets. At this point we're so frustrated we're looking at other solutions for our problem.
Any help you can give us is greatly appreciated.
- KadeJMAnswered on November 10, 2016 at 01:51 PM
Thank you for reporting this to us again and we do sincerely apologize that it's continued to stay a problem for you still it seems.
Upon investigating this further I did find some errors with the widget loading data as well as a long delay which is probably stemming from the issue. I am under the current impression that it may possibly be related or the cause.
I'm reopening this ticket we had for you for this issue so that our devs can get this checked and fixed again for you so that it doesn't continue to be an issue.
Here I see what appears to be data that is missing when I got to this page of your form and it took a little over a minute before I saw some letters appear thereafter.
Additionally, here I found some error warnings when I inspected the form so something apparently isn't right here.
- collegeplusAnswered on November 10, 2016 at 02:43 PM
Thanks for looking into this for us! We really appreciate anything you can do for us.
- JotForm SupportTitusNdokaAnswered on November 24, 2016 at 03:32 AM
Please open your form, go to the random value generator widget and open the settings wizard (wizard wand).
Click on update to get the latest version of the widget. You will find an additional setting called "Uniqueness Check" which engages or disengages the use of the JotForm API to generate values.
A couple of things to note:
1. The Uniqueness check setting is useful when you expect a large number of submissions - so disabling it will speed up your form. This means that the code generated might not be unique - depending on the complexity of your setting.
2. The smaller the random value (in terms of characters) the greater the possibility that the generated value will be equal to another. In your case, you have used two characters, numeric values only. Your code can only handle only 99 other unique possibilities.
Let me know if this helps.
- collegeplusAnswered on November 30, 2016 at 03:13 PM
Thank you!! This seems to have resolved the issue.