What is JotForm?
JotForm is a free online form builder which helps you create online forms without writing a single line of code. No sign-up required.

At JotForm, we want to make sure that you’re getting the online form builder help that you need. Our friendly customer support team is available 24/7.

We believe that if one user has a question, there could be more users who may have the same question. This is why many of our support forum threads are public and available to be searched and viewed. If you’d like help immediately, feel free to search for a similar question, or submit your question or concern.


  • Profile Image

    Form languages encoding: Lao language is not correctly encoded in HTML/CSV reports

    Asked by uolaosinclusion on September 28, 2016 at 02:29 PM

    We have 16 quizzes in Lao and we're using the HTML report tool to make results of these tests accessible to our team. A typical example is M2 Post-test Lao (https://www.jotform.com//?formID=61606258321148).

    In the HTML report of results for this Post-test, the options for questions 2, 3, and 4 are not being encoded correctly, though they are correctly coded in the Submissions listing and in the Grid report for this test.  Thus, for example, question 2's option A should look like this (as it does in the Submissions listing and the Grid report):

        a.ການສິດສອນເດກັ ທຸກຄົນໂດຍບໍ່ໄດຈ້ ໍາແນກຄວາມສາມາດແລະຄວາມເປນພກິ ານ.

    But in the HTML report (and also in the CSV and Excel downloadable reports), it looks like this:

        a. àºàº²àº™àºªàº´àº”ສອນເດັàºàº—ຸàºàº„ົນໂດàºàºšà»à»ˆà»„ດ້ຈຳà»àº™àºàº„ວາມສາມາດ à»àº¥àº° ຄວາມເປັນພິàºàº²àº™.

    In troubleshooting this, I have reloaded each report in my browser multiple times, dumping the local cache as I do; I've reviewed the HTML results in 4 different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer); and I've replaced the content of this test's options with fresh material from our source, all to no avail. 

    Given that the Lao text appears correctly in the Submissions listing and the Grid report, it looks like the text-encoding in the HTML report (and the others) is somehow amiss. All these tests should be displayed in UTF-8, and in editing or viewing the form, the encoding is correct.

    I have determined that the issue arises in the tests listed below.  Note that this issue may be related to the length of the question and/or the answer options, for in most of the cases below, the mistaken text-encoding appears in quizzes with longer question/answer texts in Lao.

    Problem cases:

      M1 Post Test Lao*
      M2 Pre and Post-test Lao
      M3 Pre and Post-test Lao
      M4 Pre and Post-test Lao
      M6 Post-test Lao*
      M8 Pre and Post-test Lao

    Oddly, I have found in the asterisked cases above that clearing the browser's local cache and reloading the page has alleviated the erroneous text-encoding, but this behavior has not been consistent within these tests so that subsequent reviews using the HTML report returned the errors.  Such reloading doesn't help in the other cases.

    Also, I have downloaded the Excel and CSV versions of several of these cases from the Submissions view.  In all cases, the Excel versions show the incorrect text-encoding, but the CSV versions (viewed in a text editor) do not.   I've also opened these downloaded CSV files in Libre Office and Open Office Calc where the text-encoding shows up correctly.

    Since our team consists of Lao speakers as well as English ones, we really need to have consistent views of the these test results.  Please advise.

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    Reports in for Submissions JotForm html report grid report
  • Profile Image
    JotForm Support

    Answered by Kiran on September 28, 2016 at 07:27 PM

    Please allow us some to check this issue. It would be helpful if you can provide us with the direct links of HTML/CSV/Excel reports along with the form IDs so that we can further investigate the issue.

    We will wait for your response. Thank you! 

  • Profile Image

    Answered by uolaosinclusion on September 29, 2016 at 12:53 PM

    sure, these HTML reports all presume https://www.jotform.com/table/

      M1 Post Test Lao:  62505310971046
      M2 PreTest Lao:    62524617061047
      M2 Post-test Lao:  62714713272049       
      M3 PreTest Lao:    62524280633048
      M3 Post-test Lao   62714998652066
      M4 PreTest Lao:    62555638320052
      M4 Post-test Lao   62556039396061
      M6 Post-test Lao:  62555887062061
      M8 PreTest Lao:    62555852556061
      M8 Post-test Lao:  62555138497062

     

  • Profile Image
    JotForm Support

    Answered by Kiran on September 29, 2016 at 02:49 PM

    I have tried generating some reports in Excel both from the Submissions view and Reports. I notice that the Excel is displaying the correct data in all my tests. I am able to replicate the issue with HTML Tables and CSV reports. Let me forward the issue to our backend team to further investigate the issue. Once we have any update in this regard, you'll be posted here.

    Also, I have a CSV, Excel, Table reports for M6 Post-test Lao form for testing purposes. Request you not to delete these reports until further notice.

    Thank you! 

  • Profile Image
    JotForm Support

    Answered by paulsimpson on September 30, 2016 at 12:45 PM

    Hi

    We released a patch yesterday for encoding issues in HTML table reports. Can you confirm the issue is now fixed for your report https://www.jotform.com/table/62555887062061

    Thanks

    Paul

  • Profile Image

    Answered by uolaosinclusion on October 03, 2016 at 12:13 PM

    Yes, this now looks to be correctly encoded.  Thanks!