JotForm is a free online form builder which helps you create online forms without writing a single line of code. No sign-up required.
We believe that if one user has a question, there could be more users who may have the same question. This is why many of our support forum threads are public and available to be searched and viewed. If you’d like help immediately, feel free to search for a similar question, or submit your question or concern.
Feature Suggestion: Be able to convert radio groups to checkbox groups and textfields to textareas (and vice versa)Asked by fadsmiamibeach on July 22, 2014 at 11:08 AM
I'm running into situations, where I want to start allowing multiple answers or allow for more writing room, but there is no way to convert a field. Naturally, I end up deleting it, and recreating, but I'm loosing submitted data, which is not good...
This feature request have been forwarded to our developers. However, we can't promise any timeframe for this request. Our developers would decide and let us know here when it becomes available.
I found a workaround, although it's slightly tedious. The basic process is clone the form, update the new one with the new fields, export the data from the old, import it to the new. The drawback is it's slightly error prone, and it doesn't retain the original submissions date of the imported data. Here are the steps.
- Create a clone of your existing form.
- In the new form update the fields you'd like. Radio buttons->CheckBoxes, Text fields->Text Area, etc. Be sure to leave them in the exact same order as before. Note that going the other way could create problems. For instance checkboxes can have more than one option selected, but radio buttons only allow one.
- Navigate to the Submissions view and export your data from your old form in a XLS file.
- Navigate to the Import data app, and follow the steps to begin importing data to your new form. It prompts you to grant JotForm access to a specific form, then lands on the import page:
- Open up the Excel file and delete the Submission Date column, since it's not used by the importer.
- Ensure the column headings appear on the spreadsheet exactly as they are on the page. You may need to change all of them, or just the updated fields
- Ensure the data matches the column heading
- attached the file through the interface, and press import.
- verify the data was imported successfully
- be sure to update your live form with the new one.
In my test I was able to export a text field/radio button form into a text area/check box from.
I'm not sure we've received a lot of requests for the field conversion feature, so it may or may not be implemented. The above method will hopefully suffice though. Let us know what you think!