JotForm is a free online form builder which helps you create online forms without writing a single line of code. No sign-up required.
We believe that if one user has a question, there could be more users who may have the same question. This is why many of our support forum threads are public and available to be searched and viewed. If you’d like help immediately, feel free to search for a similar question, or submit your question or concern.
Can Jotform be used for an authorisation and action process?Asked by leonduffield on November 08, 2016 at 06:09 AM
We want to use Jot form for an authorisation process whereby staff complete the form which is then sent to a manager for authorisation. The manager can then either deny the request and it is sent back to the member of staff with a comment, or authorises the process and either forward it to a member of staff in a different department to action the request or automatically be added to a spreadsheet of all approved requests for the person to work through and action?
Yes, we don't have a workflow system but you can use our existing features to accomplish this.
You can do it this way:
1. Add a section in the form where the manager can select to approve or deny the request, you can use a radio button for this. Add a text area where comments can be added.
2. Add another section in the form where the member of staff can also approve or deny the request. Add a text area if needed.
***IF you do not want users to see the Manager and Member of Staff sections, you can hide the fields via its properties:
3. Create a notification and make sure to put the manager's email as the recipient: https://www.jotform.com/help/25-Setting-Up-Email-Notifications. In the email body, make sure that the Edit Link is present as shown below:
4. Add another notification email for the Member of the Staff. Since you have two departments, add two new notification emails.
5. Now, this is the important part. Add a conditional logic to send the two new emails. One condition to send an email once the manager approves the submission and another email if it's denied which is sent to other member of staff. This is, assuming that the manager receives the submissions and click on the EDIT submission link on the email to process the submission.
Note, all submissions are received in a spreadsheet. Unfortunately, there is no way you can filter what submissions can be added in the list. You have to check the approval status in order to categorize the submissions.
Let us know if you have questions.