There are two (2) easy ways to test your PayPal payment form. It’s either by making an actual payment or through PayPal Sandbox mode.
METHOD A: Test by making an actual payment
If you are not convinced with sandbox (test) mode, you can make actual payments in your PayPal form. Here are some tips:
- First, create a test product in your PayPal payment field with a 0.01 USD price.
- Save your form and preview. Then select the test product and make an actual payment.
METHOD B: Test through PayPal Sandbox Mode
PayPal Sandbox is a virtual testing environment that mimics the live PayPal production environment. Meaning, it works similarly with making an actual Paypal but without using real credit cards or live PayPal accounts.
- First, you need to secure a PayPal Sandbox Test Account. To do that, log in to https://developer.paypal.com/.
- Go to the Dashboard tab and navigate to Sandbox > Accounts.
- Create 2 different account types, Personal and Business. If you are using PayPal (standard) in your payment form, you need the Personal account credentials. Otherwise, if you are using PayPal Pro or PayPal Express, you need the Business account credentials.
- After creating the test accounts, take your PayPal Credentials. Let’s assume you are using Paypal Pro so you need to take the Business account credentials.
A. In your Business account, click the Profile link.
B. It will open a new window, go to the API Credentials tab and copy your username, password, and signature.
- Afterwards, enter these credentials into your PayPal Pro payment wizard.
A. Click the Payment Settings (wand icon) in your payment field.
B. Enter your API credentials. Verification is optional since it is a test account.
IMPORTANT: After entering your PayPal credentials, you need to enable SANDBOX MODE before you can perform a test.
- To enable sandbox, scroll down and expand the ADDITIONAL GATEWAY SETTINGS section then set SANDBOX MODE to YES.
- That’s it! You can preview your form and make a test payment. If you are using a Business account in your PayPal payment field, you can use your Personal account to test your form or vice versa.