Rental and Lease Agreement Templates
A rental and lease agreement is a document that outlines the arrangement between an owner of a real estate, known as the “landlord” or “lessor”, and someone else that is willing to pay rent while occupying the property, known as the “tenant” or “lessee”. In layman’s term, it’s a document used for the occupying of space (either commercial or residential) for a period of time in exchange for monthly rent. The terms of the contract are negotiable between the tenant and landlord and once signed, the form is considered legally and mutually binding.
With Jotform, you have an option to add e-signature widgets to your form and have your tenant fill out the rest of it. An ideal use case is to generate a PDF copy of the submitted agreement that can be printed out. Instead of painstakingly designing a PDF output for your agreement, why not use one of the templates we designed for you? If you’re in the real estate business, branding is important since you’ll be sharing this agreement with a lot of clients. Our revamped PDF Editor will allow you to fully customize the template, add your own branding, change the order of the questions, or modify the context of the terms and conditions.
If you haven’t had a chance to build a rental and lease agreement before, we’re listing down some of the most important details you need to ask and disclose on your agreement – The premises (whether it’s a house, apartment, condo, basement, or attic), contact details of the landlord and tenant, the amount of money paid by the tenant to the landlord, and the length of time the tenant has the right to stay on the premises. You should also include clauses for terms of conditions and signature widgets that should be signed by both parties.
Simple One Page Lease Agreement
Let tenants sign your property lease agreements with Jotform Sign. Great for landlords or real estate agents. Fill out and sign in seconds. Easy to customize.
House Rental Agreement
Create a house rental lease agreement. Collect e-signatures with ease. Works on Android and iOS devices. Drag and drop to customize. No coding knowledge required.
Basic Rental Agreement
Create a basic rental agreement between a tenant and landlord. Drag and drop customization. Works on Android and iOS devices. Easy to share. Download as a PDF.
Short Term Rental Agreement
Let tenants fill out and sign rental agreements on any device. Easy to customize. Great for independent landlords. Convert into PDFs upon completion.
Free Commercial Lease Agreement
Create a free commercial lease agreement with Jotform Sign. Easy to customize and share. Fill out and e-sign from any device. Great for landlords.
Equipment Rental Agreement
Create an equipment rental agreement in seconds. Easy to customize and share. Converts to PDF. Collect e-signatures from any smartphone, tablet, or desktop.
Early Lease Termination Letter
Create an early lease termination letter to send to a landlord or property manager. Signable on any desktop, tablet, or mobile device. Easy to customize and share.
Month to Month Rental Agreement
Create a month to month rental agreement. Drag and drop to customize. Collect legally binding signatures. Works on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices.
Room Rental Agreement
Collect details and signatures for rental agreements online. Works great on any device. Customize without any coding. Turn submissions into PDFs.
Standard Lease Rental Agreement
Generate lease agreements for tenants online. Great for landlords. Easy to customize. Collect e-signatures and finalize documents on any device. No coding.
Lease Extension Agreement
Generate lease extension agreements online. Easy to customize. Great for landlords. Collect e-signatures and finalize documents quickly on any device.
Studio Rental Agreement
Create an agreement form for renting out your studio. Drag and drop to customize. Works on all devices — iOS and Android. Download immediately as a PDF.
Boat Rental Agreement
Create a professional boat rental agreement. Share and embed fast. Drag and drop to customize. Works on all smartphone, tablet, and desktop devices. No coding.
Florida Condo Lease Agreement
Generate condo lease agreements in Florida. Easy-to-customize template. Share via email. Fill out and sign on any device. Save time with online forms.
Notice To Vacate Form
Create a notice to vacate form to send to your tenants. Send via email and collect e-signatures. Works on all devices. Drag and drop to customize.
Free Sublease Agreement
Create a sublease agreement for your unit. Drag and drop to customize. Works on all smartphone, tablet, and desktop devices. E-sign in just seconds.
Boat Slip Lease Agreement
Create a boat slip lease agreement in seconds with Jotform Sign. No coding knowledge needed. Works great on any device. Converts to a PDF document.
Car Rental Agreement
Create a car rental agreement that works for your rent-a-car business. Collect customer e-signatures. Works on mobile, tablet, and desktop devices. Share and embed.
Free Florida Room Rental Agreement
Create a free rental lease agreement for your Florida properties. Easy to customize. Works on all desktop, tablet, and mobile devices. E-sign in seconds.
Condo Lease Agreement
Create a professional condo lease agreement. Easy to embed and share. Drag and drop to customize. Works on all devices — iOS and Android friendly. No coding.
Roommate Rental Agreement
Share, sign, track, and manage rental agreements for your property. Fill out any device. Easy drag-and-drop customization. Say goodbye to messy paperwork.
Party Rental Contract
Create a party rental contract to send to clients. Fill out and sign from any smartphone, tablet, or computer. Easy to customize and share. No coding.
Event Facility Rental Agreement
Create an event facility rental agreement. Works great on any device. Easy to share and collect e-signatures. Drag and drop to customize. No coding required.
Free Texas Room Rental Agreement
Create a free rental agreement for your Texas properties. Drag and drop to customize. Works on all desktop, tablet, and mobile devices. E-sign and close easily.
What is lease agreement?
A lease agreement is a legally binding contract between a landlord and tenant that outlines the terms by which the tenant can rent property from the landlord, such as the duration of the lease, the monthly rent amount, and maintenance responsibilities.
Who needs a residential lease agreement?
Anybody involved in leasing a property should have a residential lease agreement that defines the terms of the agreement and keeps all involved parties protected by law. These individuals include property managers looking for tenants and vice versa, social service providers looking for supportive housing, real estate agents, and anyone renting or looking to rent a property.
What is the difference between a lease and a rental agreement?
In the case of real estate or apartments, a rental agreement typically provides for tenancy for a short period of time, usually 30 days. Unless the renter or landlord provides a move-out notice, the lease is automatically renewed. The terms of the agreement can also be changed each month.
A lease provides the tenant the right to occupy the property for a specific term, which typically runs from six months to a year or more. Unless the tenant agrees, the terms of the lease cannot be changed by the landlord.
Also, a lease does not usually automatically renew. A tenant who continues to stay at the property converts to month-to-month until a new rental or lease agreement is signed.
These conditions are not unique to this type of property. They can also apply to the rental of equipment, automobiles, and other items.
Can I write my own lease agreement?
Yes, you can. A lease is an agreement between you (the landlord) and your tenant. Leases usually include the standard items, such as the amount of rent, the duration of the lease, who is responsible for various maintenance items, and the penalties that can be assessed for not following the terms.
With Jotform, you can create a lease template and use a form to collect specific information that changes with each lease, such as the tenant’s name, rent amount, etc. You can also accept digital signatures when it’s time to sign the final document.
What should I include in a lease agreement?
- Terms. The lease should state the length of the agreement.
- Rent. The amount of rent and when it is due.
- Deposits and fees. Declare whether you require a security deposit and first/last month’s rent.
- The names of all tenants. Every adult who will live on the property should be included.
- Occupancy limits. This should specify that only the adults who signed the lease and their minor children can occupy the property.
- Restrictions on disruptive activity. Include text that prohibits behavior such as excessive noise and illegal activity.
- Pets. Let the renter know if you will allow pets and, if so, what type.
- Maintenance and repairs. Outline the tenant’s responsibility to keep the property clean and pay for damages due to abuse.
- Utilities. Establish who is responsible for utilities, and what will happen if a payment is delinquent.
- Entry to the property. Clarify your rights to access the property to make repairs, and how much advance notice you will provide.
Can a rental agreement be used as proof of address?
In most cases, a valid rental or lease agreement can be used as proof of address. You can use Jotform to produce a PDF file of the lease for your tenant.
Is a lease cancellable?
A lease is usually for a fixed term, such as one year. However, a landlord may waive any penalties and allow a tenant to break a lease. You are advised to consult your local real estate laws.
Does a lease need to be notarized?
A lease is a contract between a landlord and a tenant. Usually, there is no requirement to have it notarized. Jotform allows you to include digital signatures, such as DocuSign, on your lease agreement, which are usually legally binding.
Glossary of Lease Agreement Terms
- Landlord (lessor): A landlord is a person who owns land, houses, or apartments and rents or leases them to tenants.
- Tenant (lessee): A tenant is a person who rents land or property from a landlord.
- Security deposit: A security deposit is paid by an incoming tenant in order to secure the lease from a landlord. It can either be a partial payment toward the tenant's monthly rent or a security measure for the landlord in the event of property damages.
- Common area maintenance (CAM): Common area maintenance (CAM) fees — common in commercial and industrial leases —are paid by tenants to help cover expenses for internal and external common areas like hallways, elevators, shared bathrooms, parking areas, and more. CAM fees vary by circumstance, so amounts should be agreed upon by both the landlord and the tenant and explicitly laid out in their contract.
- Renewal option: A renewal option is included in a rental or lease agreement and outlines the terms and conditions for extending the original agreement. Landlords are not required to extend or renew a lease without a renewal option outlined in the agreement, so it’s important to include a renewal option if you intend on renewing the lease.
- Periodic tenancy: Periodic tenancy is the possession of a property with no determined end date. As opposed to a fixed-term tenancy, the tenant decides when to end the tenancy. This is especially common for month-to-month leases.
- Guarantor: A guarantor is the person responsible for taking care of and paying for the property if the primary tenant fails. Guarantors are often required for student lease agreements, or for tenants without steady employment.
- Cosigner: A cosigner is a third-party person that shares the responsibility of paying rent with the primary tenant, though they are not required to live on the property.
More categories like this
These templates are suggested forms only. If you're using a form as a contract, or to gather personal (or personal health) info, or for some other purpose with legal implications, we recommend that you do your homework to ensure you are complying with applicable laws and that you consult an attorney before relying on any particular form.