The Save and Continue Later feature offers ways to form fillers to save the partially completed form and come back to it at a later date to continue. It is useful for long forms or forms with multiple pages.
The form fillers can either save the session in their account’s drafts folder, copy the session link, or have the link sent to their email address.
To set this up…
- Select your form’s Submit button in the Form Builder.
- Click the gear icon to open its Properties panel.
- Go to the Advanced tab.
- Set the Save And Continue Later option to “On”.
Once enabled, you can click the customize the Save and Continue Later email.
How to Customize the Save and Continue Later Email
- Open the Form Builder’s Settings tab.
- Click the Show More Options button.
- Scroll down to the Continue Forms Later option – make sure that it’s set to “Enabled”.
- Click the Customize Save and Continue Later Email link.
- Edit the email template in the next window.
- Email Subject – will be used as the email’s subject line.
- Email Content – the main body of the email template, you can edit, format, or style it as you like. We do not recommend removing the button.
- Sender Email – can be found under the Advanced tab, users can receive emails using your own SMTP server instead of Jotform’s servers.
Don’t forget to click the Save Changes button when you’re done.
How Does This Work?
The Save button is added beside the page break or the submit button of the form.
Clicking the button will show a window where users can sign up or log in using Google, Facebook, or email and save the session in their account’s drafts folder.
Users can also skip creating an account by clicking the Skip Create an Account link at the bottom of the window. Clicking the “skip” link will open a window where users can choose to copy the session link or have it sent to their email address.
The email address is automatically filled if there’s an email field in the form and the user fills it first. Otherwise, the user will be asked to enter it.
Clicking the Send button will send the session email in the following format:
Users can click on the button to continue where they left off on the form.
Discard & Start Over and Continue With Draft
If users access the form directly without the session ID in the form URL and Jotform found an existing draft, they’ll be prompted with options to complete the draft or discard and start with a blank form.
Clicking the Discard & Start Over option will open up a blank form. The old session is still saved, and users can continue on that session provided that they still have the link.
The Continue With Draft option will load the users’ previous session for them to continue.
That’s pretty much it! Here’s a demo form if you’d like to try it: https://www.jotform.com/220593207698464
If you have difficulties getting this to work or if you have issues with the Save and Continue Later feature, post it as a comment below or go to our support forum and create a thread.