The Continue Forms Later feature, also known as Autofill or Save and Continue, offers ways to form fillers to save their partially filled out form and come back to it at a later date to continue. It is useful for long forms or forms with multiple pages.
Your form fillers can either save their session in their account’s drafts folder, copy the session link, or have the link sent to their email address.
Here’s how you can enable the Continue Forms Later feature:
- In the Form Builder, select your form’s Submit element then click the gear icon to open its Properties panel.
- Go to the Advanced tab.
- Set the Save And Continue Later option to “On.”
How To Customize the Save and Continue Later Email
Once the Save And Continue Later option is enabled, you can customize the email sent to the form fillers if they decide to save their partial data.
- Go to the Settings tab in the Form Builder.
- Click the Show More Options button.
- Scroll down to the Continue Forms Later option — ensure it’s set to “Enabled.”
- Click the Customize Save and Continue Later Email link.
- Edit the email template in the next window.
Here are the elements you can customize in the email template editor:
- Email Subject — This will be used as the email’s subject line.
- Email Content — The main body of the email template. You can edit, format, or style it as you like.
Note: Keeping the Continue Form button is highly recommended.
- Sender Email — Can be found under the Advanced tab. You can configure it so your users receive emails from your own SMTP server instead of Jotform’s servers.
Don’t forget to click the Save Changes button when you’re done.
How Does This Work?
Enabling the Save And Continue Later feature will add a Save button on the form.
Clicking the button will show a window where users can sign up or log in using Google, Facebook, or email and save the session in their account’s drafts folder.
Users can also skip creating an account by clicking the Skip Create an Account link at the bottom of the window. Clicking the “skip” link will open a window where users can choose to copy the session link or have it sent to their email address.
The email address is automatically filled if there’s an email field in the form and the user fills it first. Otherwise, the user will be asked to enter it.
Clicking the Send button will send the session email in the following format:
Users can click on the button to continue where they left off on the form.
Discard & Start Over and Continue With Draft
If users access the form directly without the session ID in the form URL and Jotform found an existing draft, they’ll be prompted with two options — to complete the draft or start with a blank form.
Clicking the Discard & Start Over option will open up a blank form. The old session is still saved, and users can continue on that session provided that they still have the link. The Continue With Draft option on the other hand will load the users’ previous session for them to continue.
Here’s a demo form if you’d like to try it: https://www.jotform.com/220593207698464
If you’re having difficulties getting this to work or if you have issues with the Continue Forms Later feature, don’t hesitate to reach out to Jotform Support.