- web.masterAsked on July 18, 2016 at 04:37 PM
I have a form that is including the blank fields in the auto-responder emails. How can I disable that? I looked under the form preferences, but I can no longer find that option now that it is supposed to be enabled by default.
/ Edit: Fields that are hidden on the form are also being sent on the auto-responder email.Page URL:
- JotForm SupportBJoannaAnswered on July 18, 2016 at 05:58 PM
Auto Hide empty field option is removed from new preferences wizard. However this option enabled by default. Auto hide empty fields will work only if Notification/Autoresponder is not modified. Once you edit your Autoresponder table this function will not work.
You can resolve your issue by creating new Autoresponder email and deleting old one.
Hope this will help. Let us know if you need further assistance.
- web.masterAnswered on July 18, 2016 at 06:43 PM
1. The only modifications I made to the auto-responder was the subject line and the reply to email. Why would that cause this problem?
2. Why was this option removed? It does not make sense that we can only have it function when the auto-responder email template is not modified. It seems that an empty reply, is an empty reply, and it shouldn't be that hard to filter that when sending an auto-response.
3. The auto-response email sent to the form submitter also included hidden fields... and again I did not modify the body of the auto-responder, just the subject line. Would changing the subject line cause this problem? That doesn't seem very robust.
Thanks for the help!
- JotForm SupportWelvinAnswered on July 18, 2016 at 09:32 PM
Our apologies for the confusion.
1. Actually, modified template or not, empty fields won't appear in the notification and autoresponder emails. I've checked your email template and I can't seem to find the possible reason, but if you're still getting empty fields in the email, just please consider re-creating it as originally suggested by my colleague.
2. I think that is because many of our users want it to be the default in the notifier/autoresponder emails. There is still a plan to add the option in the new layout, but as of this moment, we don't have an update about it yet.
If you'd like, you can switch back to the old layout to have it. https://www.jotform.com/?old.
3. Still, re-create the autoresponder if you're still experiencing the issue. This should fix the problem.
- web.masterAnswered on July 21, 2016 at 11:16 PM
Following up on this issue: I think that you have an issue with blank/hidden fields that you are not aware of.
I deleted the auto-responder and created a new one as recommended, and the issue persists. When someone submits a response to our form they get an auto-response that includes both the blank fields AND the hidden fields.
Edit/Update - I think I found the problem. I am using a clone of a registration form created about a year ago, before the default settings for "Hide Empty Fields on Emails" were enabled.
Note to others: if you're using a cloned form you may need to switch to the old style preferences and enable this feature.
- web.masterAnswered on July 21, 2016 at 11:20 PM
One last note: I just appended my form URL with "?old" so that I can access the old style preferences, and the "Hide Empty Fields on Emails" preference was Disabled, not enabled as it should have been.
- JotForm SupportWelvinAnswered on July 22, 2016 at 12:53 AM
Please keep it as disabled in the old layout then switch back to the new layout, create your autoresponder email again and see what will happen.
- web.masterAnswered on July 22, 2016 at 12:08 PM
> Please keep it as disabled in the old layout then switch back to the new
> layout, create your autoresponder email again and see what will happen.
I already did this, and the result was that the hidden fields and empty cells were still included on the auto-responder email.
- JotForm SupportBJoannaAnswered on July 22, 2016 at 01:01 PM
I did like you suggested I switched to old layout and disabled "Hide Empty Fields on Emails". After that I have switched back to new layout and created new Autoreponder email. When I submitted my form Autoreponder that I received had all empty fields.
However this is normal behavior. Empty fields are shown because "Hide Empty Fields on Emails" option is Disabled. If you Enable "Hide Empty Fields on Emails" option in old layout , empty fields will not be shown inside of Autoreponder email.
Let us know if you need further assistance.
- web.masterAnswered on July 22, 2016 at 01:17 PM
Hmmm... we seem to have a communication issue.
I did not say to do this...
> I did like you suggested I switched to old layout and disabled "Hide Empty Fields on Emails".
> Note to others: if you're using a cloned form you may need to switch
> to the old style preferences and enable this feature.
> I just appended my form URL with "?old" so that I can access the old
> style preferences, and the "Hide Empty Fields on Emails" preference
> was Disabled, not enabled as it should have been.
I do not need further assistance with this. I leaving this feedback in case others have the same problem.
Again, if you are cloning a form that was created before the hide empty fields feature was auto-enabled than the you will need to access the form by appending the form's "edit" URL with "?old" to access the old style preferences and enable the hide empty fields option.
- JotForm SupportBJoannaAnswered on July 22, 2016 at 01:32 PM
OK. Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry because I misunderstood your previous reply.
Feel free to contact us if you have any other issues or questions.
- web.masterAnswered on July 22, 2016 at 05:03 PM
Thanks. One other note: Since my last reply I have received another submission, and on that submission the empty fields are not showing, however, I have hidden fields where I do some calculations and they are still showing up on the responses. Not sure why a field that is hidden on the submission form is showing on the auto-responder email.
I have dealt with this by editing the form in "?old" mode and removing those fields from the auto-responder email template.
My personal opinion is that hidden fields should be hidden in auto-responder emails (or there should at least be an option to hide them).
/ by the way, I love JotForm, having come here from Adobe FormsCentral. IMHO JotForm is much better than FormsCentral and I'm very glad that we were forced to dump FormsCentral.
- JotForm SupportKevin_GAnswered on July 22, 2016 at 06:48 PM
I can understand that you would like to keep empty fields hidden on emails no matter if they are filled.
Please do note that empty fields do not show on emails, if you have a hidden field, it will be shown on emails if it has a value.
For example, I have this hidden field on my form:
It will be included on the email, but it will be shown if it has a value no matter if it is hidden on the form, if you do not want it to display you may simply remove it:
However, I think we could escalate this as a feature request, but, please do confirm that I understood correctly your request, we will be glad to further assist you.
- web.masterAnswered on July 22, 2016 at 10:49 PMWell, in my mind it would make sense that if I have something hidden on a form that I might also not want that to show on the auto-responder... or at least the option to not have it shown on the auto-responder.o long as the ability to edit the email is retained in the future (maybe as an "Advanced" mode instead of having to append the form URL with "?old").
That said, I think that the manual exclusion of that item on the auto-response email is a simple enough solution, s
- JotForm SupportjonathanAnswered on July 23, 2016 at 04:44 AM
I created a separte post for the requested feature here https://www.jotform.com/answers/889147
We will attend to it shortly.