Jotform integrates with PayPal. One of them is the PayPal Payments Standard, a.k.a PayPal Personal. Like any other payment tool, this enables you to sell products and subscriptions, collect donations, and custom amounts in their forms, and get paid through the PayPal Payment Standard gateway.
Adding and Setting up PayPal Personal
- In the Form Builder, click the Add Form Element button.
- Go to the Payments tab.
- Search and click PayPal Personal from the list. You can also drag and drop it to add.
- The payment settings would generally open after you add PayPal Personal. If not, click the Wand icon to open it.
- Set up the following in the Payment Settings:
- PayPal Account – this will be your registered PayPal email address.
- Currency – PayPal Personal support all currencies.
- Payment Type – choose whether you want to Sell Products, Sell Subscriptions, collect a custom amount (User Defined Amount), or Collect Donations.
- Under Additional Gateway Settings, you’ll find a few additional options that you want to set up. The options may differ based on the chosen Payment Type. Here are the most common settings:
- Sandbox Mode – if you want to test out PayPal Personal without charging customers.
- Authorization Only – PayPal Personal supports charging customers at a later date.
- Require Shipment Address – if you want to require customers to provide during checkout.
- Checkout Language – if you want to set the PayPal Payment page to your native language.
- Pending Payment Email – when the payment takes time to complete, the pending payment email will help you get a notification of a delayed transaction.
- If you have selected Sell Products or Subscription, click the Continue button at the bottom to add the products or subscription items. If you have chosen User Defined Amount or Donation, click the Save button to complete the integration.
Related user guides:
- Setting Up Your First Order Form
- How to Add Options to Payment Forms
- How to Add Coupon Code to Payment Forms
- How to Add Tax to Your Payment Form
- How to Add Shipping Cost to Payment Forms
- How to Generate an Invoice for Your Payment Form
Payment Flow for PayPal Personal
As mentioned above, PayPal processes the payment through their dedicated checkout page. Here’s the flow of that:
- Your customer submits the form.
- The form would then redirect them to the PayPal payment page.
- Your customer will have to decide which payment method to use – to log in to their PayPal account and pay by their preferred funding method or pay directly by their Debit/Credit Card.
- The Pay with Debit or Credit Card option is available only when you enable the Guest Payment through your PayPal settings, and this is only available for supported countries (USA, UK, CA). Please check the following page from PayPal to learn more.
- If you decide not to enable the Guest Payment/Checkout or if you created your account outside of the supported countries, your customers will see the Create Account button instead.
- Your customers will have to click the Pay Now button.
- If the payment works, they should get the confirmation screen, and from that confirmation screen, they would need to click the Return to Merchant button to get your form’s thank you message. That’s it!
We recommend advising your customers not to forget to click the Return to Merchant button after paying, as it’s important to complete the transaction in both PayPal and Jotform. This particular step would also prevent payments from being processed as incomplete.