When you are selling physical items or items that need your approval prior to delivery to the customer, you may sometimes want to get payment authorization only and capture payment at a later time when needed.
Luckily, payment authorization is available on the following payment gateways:
Here are the steps to enable Payment Authorization:
1. Edit your form in the Form Builder and click the Payment Field.
2. Click the Payment Settings (wand icon) to open the payment wizard.
3. Click the Settings (gear icon) at the top right of your payment wizard to go back to the main screen.
3. Expand the Additional Gateway Settings option, and toggle Authorization Only to Yes.
This toggle is similar for Paypal Personal, Paypal Pro, Authorize.Net, Square, Braintree, and eWay.
For Paypal Business, you have to toggle Charge Customer Later to Yes.
For Stripe, it’s a little different. You need to set the Charge Customer Immediately to NO. This literally means your customers will never be charged immediately after submitting the form.
4. Don’t forget to click the CONTINUE button to save your changes.
Here are additional information and the steps to capture/charge your customers with Payment Authorization:
1. For Square, the authorization link to charge customers will expire in six (6) days. The Charge Customer Now link is available on both the submissions page and email.
2. For PayPal Business, the authorization link will expire in three (3) days. You can capture the payment through your PayPal account similar to PayPal Personal and Pro which is explained below. The Charge Customer Now button/link is also available on the submissions page and email.
3. For PayPal Personal and PayPal Pro, the link to capture the payment is available through your PayPal account only. The authorization will expire in 30 days. You can find the capture link in the transaction details. Here’s an example:
4. For Authorize.Net, the payment can be captured through your Authorize.Net account only. Please visit the following guide to learn more about it: https://support.authorize.net/s/article/How-Do-I-Capture-a-Transaction.
5. For Stripe, you can capture the payment through the submissions page and notification email.
The link is also sent to your Stripe account. It is stored under the Customer Details > Metadata section:
One of the advantages of Stripe is you can also charge your customers later with whatever amount necessary (charge amount different from authorized amount). You can do this through your Stripe merchant interface.
6. For Braintree, you can only capture the payment through your Braintree account. You can easily find the transaction by copying the Transaction ID from the submissions page/email and search for it through your Braintree dashboard.
Copy the Transaction ID:
Search for the Transaction ID and click the ID link like this:
Find the Submit For Settlement and click the button to charge the customer. You can also charge the customer a partial amount if you want to.
If you have questions about this, feel free to post your comments below.