7 key purposes of AppExchange in Salesforce
- Extending Salesforce functionality
- Improving integration
- Enabling greater customization
- Creating a trusted marketplace
- Streamlining app discovery
- Building community
- Increasing scalability
In 1999, when customer relationship management (CRM) software was still in its infancy, developers created Salesforce to improve the functionality and cost efficiency of CRM software. Now, the success of that core CRM solution has yielded a wide array of products that organizations of all sizes use for marketing, customer service, and integrations — and that array includes an app marketplace called AppExchange. But exactly what is the purpose of the AppExchange in Salesforce?
Salesforce created AppExchange as a way for businesses to discover and install a diverse lineup of third-party applications that seamlessly integrate with Salesforce’s platforms, helping users enhance their experience with specialized functions tailored to their unique needs. For developers, the AppExchange is a way to reach a larger audience and even generate revenue through the solutions they develop.
Here’s what you need to know about this rapidly growing marketplace.
What is the purpose of AppExchange in Salesforce?
No matter how many solutions Salesforce brings to market, it’s impossible for the platform to fulfill every niche need on its own. That’s where third-party developers come in. The apps they create and share in AppExchange provide innumerable benefits for Salesforce users. Here are seven key purposes that AppExchange in Salesforce was built to accomplish:
1. Extending Salesforce functionality
While Salesforce is world-renowned for its versatile and comprehensive solutions, businesses inevitably have unique requirements that standard features can’t fully address. AppExchange allows Salesforce users to find applications that offer functionality that’s not available on the platform — such as apps for document generation, specific types of analytics, e-commerce integration, project management, and more.
Jotform is available on Salesforce AppExchange, making it easier than ever to streamline data collection and automate workflows.
2. Improving integration
In theory, any developer can create third-party apps to enhance Salesforce functionality. But the team at Salesforce has curated and guaranteed the software compatibility of the apps in AppExchange. The apps available on AppExchange are specifically built to integrate with Salesforce and its many platforms. This ensures that data can flow smoothly between applications for seamless and error-free usability.
3. Enabling greater customization
AppExchange in Salesforce connects users to apps that can deeply customize their Salesforce experience — tailoring every conceivable aspect of the platform to their specific processes and workflows. The higher degree of customization helps users optimize their operations and better serve their customers.
4. Creating a trusted marketplace
In order for Salesforce to list an app in AppExchange, the application must undergo a thorough security review and meet certain quality standards that Salesforce has set. This helps ensure that the available apps are reliable, secure, and compliant with Salesforce’s guidelines as well as industry regulations and best practices.
5. Streamlining app discovery
As a centralized marketplace, AppExchange in Salesforce makes it easier for users to find the third-party apps they need, and it allows them to rest easy knowing that the apps meet Salesforce’s standards for reliability, security, and quality. This prevents users from wasting their time searching for apps that could compromise data security or ultimately not even function.
6. Building community
The AppExchange platform consists of developers, partners, and Salesforce users who actively share their knowledge and expertise. Users get a direct line to skilled developers who can rapidly implement their feedback or develop new solutions to their problems. Professionals can also share advice with each other on best practices, tips, and tricks for using apps or getting the most out of Salesforce — and even trade notes on sales and marketing strategies.
7. Increasing scalability
As businesses grow and their requirements evolve, they eventually need new solutions to adapt to new challenges. AppExchange in Salesforce provides a channel to easily find new apps to accommodate their changing needs. This makes Salesforce scalable to whatever functionality users need in order to continue growing.
How does AppExchange in Salesforce benefit developers?
It’s clear how AppExchange benefits users, but what is the purpose of AppExchange in Salesforce for developers? It’s not just a way for users to scale their businesses — it also helps app developers scale as well. AppExchange in Salesforce helps developers grow by offering significant benefits:
- Access to Salesforce support and resources: Salesforce provides developers with educational resources, documentation, and support to help them understand the platform and make the development and listing process as painless as possible. Some of these resources include guidelines for app creation, best practices for integration, and even ideas on marketing strategies once an app is listed in AppExchange.
- Advanced development and integration tools: Salesforce offers application programming interfaces (APIs) and proprietary development tools that make it easier for developers to create apps that are compatible with Salesforce’s data and services. These resources streamline the development process and improve the app’s integration capabilities, providing both a more secure and higher-quality experience.
- Increased visibility: Salesforce has positioned AppExchange as a central marketplace for users to discover and download new apps. As a result, any app listed in the AppExchange has built-in visibility — and it is more trustworthy because the Salesforce team has given it their stamp of approval. This visibility makes it easier for users to find and explore new solutions. Developers, in turn, can dramatically (and organically) increase their brand exposure and user base and even generate significant revenue in the process.
AppExchange connects people to solutions in a collaborative and supportive environment. For users, the marketplace is a trusted source of new apps they can use to further customize and scale their Salesforce experience and overcome any challenge they’re facing. For app developers, it’s a marketing and sales platform that can dramatically expand their reach.
These dynamics make the platform a win-win for both users and developers — not to mention for Salesforce as a whole. And what is the purpose of AppExchange in Salesforce if not to raise standards for every person and organization that participates in it?
Thank you for helping improve the Jotform Blog. 🎉