Customer satisfaction is the key to a sustainable, successful business that will thrive today, tomorrow, and long into the future.
To ensure you’re delivering the best customer experience possible, you have to know what your customers expect, what they do and don’t like, and what you can do to keep them solidly in the loyal-fans-who-sing-your-praises column.
The best way to gather this important information is by regularly conducting customer experience surveys.
The purpose of a customer experience survey
The critical insights you gain from customer feedback will help you enhance every part of the customer journey. You can use this intel to identify strengths and weaknesses, improve customer service, develop new products and services, pinpoint and deliver what your target audience wants, and grow as a company.
Other objectives include
- Improving customer retention
- Gathering ideas for new products and services
- Identifying poor performers among current products and services
- Evaluating the performance of customer service and sales representatives
- Collecting voice of the customer (VOC) language to improve web copy and other key content and copy assets
- Developing effective marketing campaigns
- Turning one-time customers into happy repeat customers and brand evangelists
- Getting website performance feedback
- Improving shipping, delivery, and other processes
Are you sold on the value of customer experience surveys? Wondering about the best customer experience survey questions to ask?
Here are a handful of questions, divided by category, to help you decide what to include on your survey.
Demographic survey questions
Questions that ask for demographic data will help you define your target audience. This information will be useful to your sales and marketing teams when prospecting for ideal or most likely buyers.
It’s a good idea to make answering these questions optional or to give respondents a “prefer not to say” choice among the answer selections.
- How old are you? (Offer age range options.)
- What is your gender? (Only ask if necessary. Offer a multiple-choice list of options that includes nonbinary, the option to self describe, or the ability to opt out of the question.)
- Where do you live?
- What is your employment status?
- What is your marital status, and do you have children?
- What is your annual household income?
Product usage survey questions
Product usage questions will help you determine customer needs, develop effective customer solutions, and gather the intel necessary to improve customer retention.
- How often do you use the product/service?
- What is your favorite feature of the product/service?
- Does the product/service help you achieve your goals?
- What improvements should we make to this product/service?
- How likely are you to recommend the product/service?
- Based on your experience using the product/service, would you buy it again?
Customer satisfaction survey questions
You can use the responses to these questions to gauge brand image and perception, customer loyalty, and price vs value perception.
- How would you rate the value of the product/service against its cost?
- What are two to three things we could do better?
- Do you consider yourself a loyal customer of our brand?
- What would you tell a friend or colleague who asked about us?
- How likely are you to buy from us again?
This information can help you strengthen your value proposition, among other things.
Customer experience survey questions
These questions are meant to elicit insights about all of the touchpoints a customer has with your brand, from discovery to purchase, to receiving and using the product or service, and even to their experience following purchase.
- How easy was it to navigate our website and find what you were looking for?
- What could we improve about the website experience?
- What other aspects of the customer experience could we improve (e.g., finding the right product, locating product information, ordering, making a purchase/payment options, shipping and delivery, getting a follow-up after receiving product, etc.)?
- Was the pricing clear and easy to understand?
- Was it easy to get answers to your product/service questions?
- Did the description of the product/service match what you received?
- How would you rate your most recent experience with us?
Marketing and competition survey questions
Marketing and competition survey questions can help you assess the impact of your marketing efforts and find out how you stack up against the competition in your space. This is very useful information to have when identifying marketing opportunities, determining your marketing strategy, and designing effective marketing campaigns.
- Where did you learn about our products/services?
- Why did you choose our product/service over similar products/services on the market?
- Do you find our products/services better, worse, or about the same as those of our competitors?
- Do you follow us on social media? Which platforms?
- Do you read our blog and/or subscribe to our email newsletter?
There are a few things to keep in mind when creating your survey:
- Don’t overwhelm customers with too many questions.
- Include a mix of yes-no, multiple-choice, and open-ended questions.
- Make sure questions are clear and easy to understand.
- Let customers know how many questions are on the survey and/or the estimated time it will take to complete.
- Optimize your survey for mobile.
Use the questions above as a starting point to brainstorm ideas for your own customer experience survey questions, and you’ll be on the way to getting the kind of juicy customer feedback that will help you improve all the touchpoints of your business.
But what about the technical aspect of creating these surveys? Whatever your survey needs, JotForm can help. JotForm’s form templates include an online store customer experience survey along with over 400 other survey templates.
In addition, you can use JotForm Tables to collect, organize, and manage response data in an all-in-one workspace. Responses from forms will automatically populate the connected tables. Alternatively, you can import data or enter it manually. You can also search and filter your data, add formulas and calculations, and seamlessly collaborate with teammates.
These survey and reporting tools will help you collect data and gauge customer opinion about your brand.