Podcasts are a great way to share your thoughts, offer expertise, and interview interesting people with unique ideas. But how do you know whether your podcast is going in the right direction? It’s important to ask both your listeners and your guests for feedback and take their ideas into consideration.
A podcast survey can help you get the feedback you need to take your show to the top of the charts.
Podcast survey basics
A podcast survey is a great way for producers and hosts to gather feedback from subscribers, listeners, guests, and other key audiences about how the show is going.
Harrison Tanner Baron — podcast host, CEO, and founder of Growth Generators, a digital marketing agency — shares that he consistently asks these questions: How can I make my podcast better? What was your favorite question? What was your least favorite question? What are 2–3 questions I should ask other guests on my podcast?
If you’re looking for more inspiration for a podcast survey, keep reading for a list of podcast survey questions you can ask guests and listeners.
Create professional surveys for your podcast for free with Jotform. No coding is required.
Podcast survey questions for guests
Many podcasts rely on guests in each episode to keep the conversation fresh and interesting. You can send podcast surveys to guests before and after their appearance on the show. Pre-interview surveys can ask the guest to provide the host with more context about the planned discussion points, while post-interview surveys can garner feedback on the host’s style of questioning or logistical issues.
“How did you get your start?” is a great question for guests, says Baron. “People love a hero’s journey. Second, what does the future look like for you? People want to hear from visionaries who want to succeed.” Here are other questions to consider:
- What is your area of expertise?
- What topics would you like to cover in this episode?
- Are there any topics that are off-limits during this show?
- Were you comfortable and engaged during your interview?
- Is there anything we can do to make the interview process more enjoyable for you?
- How would you rate your experience on this podcast?
- Do you have any feedback for the host?
- Would you be interested in coming back as a guest on this podcast?
Podcast survey questions for listeners
Podcast surveys for listeners focus on questions to learn what aspects of the podcast they enjoy, what they think needs improvement, and what they find unique and memorable about the show.
Use a mix of open-ended and closed-ended questions when surveying your listeners to understand their sentiments on specific aspects of your show, such as the quality of guests or the type of commentary you provide. Be sure to survey listeners on a regular basis and use their answers to inform the future strategy for your podcast episodes. “In podcasting,” says Baron, “there aren’t many negative aspects to asking questions, as long as there are clear expectations set in the beginning.”
Here are some example questions for listeners:
- How did you learn about this podcast?
- How likely are you to recommend this podcast to a friend?
- Did you listen to the entire episode of the podcast?
- Who has been your favorite guest on this podcast?
- Who is your dream guest for a podcast episode?
- What is the most memorable episode of this podcast?
- Is there a specific topic you would like this podcast to cover?
- Is there a specific topic you would like us to stop covering?
- What device do you use to listen to the podcast?
- Do you do anything else while listening to the podcast?
Powerful podcast surveys with Jotform
If you’re producing a podcast, it’s important to get feedback on it from your listeners and guests so you can make improvements and focus on your strengths. Jotform makes this easy with its podcast listener survey template. The template is fully customizable, so you can change the questions as you wish and add your logo or other branding elements. This way, you can create a podcast survey that meets your needs exactly and gives you insights that help you take your podcast to the next level.
Thank you for helping improve the Jotform Blog. 🎉