A great customer service experience is a hot topic of conversation when I’m with my friends. It’s not because our lives are so boring that something as routine as customer service is exciting to us — it’s because a truly outstanding customer service experience is so rare, so unusual, that when it does happen, you almost can’t believe it. And when you do experience it, you remember it for months to come and share it with friends, family, and colleagues.
If you’ve been in business for any length of time, you likely already know that the benefits of providing excellent customer service go well beyond people singing your praises to their friends.
Stellar customer service has a direct link to positive business outcomes — like increased sales and profits. A 2019 Forbes roundup of statistics found that 84 percent of companies that focus on improving the customer experience report an increase in revenue — and that’s not the only benefit they see.
If you want to deliver the kind of customer service that creates happy customers — and, by extension, increased sales — then a customer service survey is a great way to gather the intel you need to get there.
Customize your own free customer service survey with Jotform.
Customer service survey questions
When it comes to which questions to ask on your customer service survey, include questions that will give you insight into what changes you can make to improve your most important key performance indicators. Those will differ from business to business.
It’s wise to use a mix of yes-or-no questions, rating questions, and open-ended questions. Some respondents may only answer the easy yes-or-no questions and skip the others. While it may be tempting to exclude rating and open-ended questions entirely in order to increase survey completion rates, the answers to these questions often reveal profound customer insights and honest opinions you wouldn’t discover any other way.
Here are 22 customer service survey questions to choose from.
Yes-or-no customer service survey questions
- Did the customer service representative resolve your issue to your satisfaction?
- Was the customer service representative knowledgeable and helpful?
- Was the customer service representative polite and friendly?
- Did the customer service representative seem well trained?
- Did the customer service representative make you feel valued as a customer?
- Did someone resolve your issue quickly?
- Did you find it easy to contact us?
- Overall, were you satisfied with the customer service representative’s performance?
Rating customer service survey questions
- Based on your experience, on a scale of 1–10 (1 = not at all likely; 10 = extremely likely), how likely are you to recommend us to friends, family, or colleagues?
- On a scale of 1–10 (1 = unhappy; 10 = very happy), how would you rate your satisfaction with the customer service representative you spoke to?
- On a scale of 1–10 (1 = difficult; 10 = very easy), how would you rate the effort you had to make to get in touch with us?
- On a scale of 1–10 (1 = difficult; 10 = very easy), how would you rate the effort you had to make to speak directly to someone on the customer service team?
- Overall, how would you rate the quality of your customer service experience (1 = poor; 10 = excellent)?
Open-ended customer service survey questions
- How well did the customer service representative understand your question?
- How helpful and clear was the advice the customer service representative provided?
- What did you enjoy most about your customer service experience with us?
- What did you enjoy least about your customer service experience with us?
- How would you describe your customer service experience with us in a few words?
- What suggestions do you have for improving our customer service experience overall?
- What can we do to improve your specific experience with us?
- What else would you like us to know?
- Do you have any other suggestions?
There are many reasons to regularly survey your customers — not least of which is to show them you care about their experience with your company and that you value their opinion about how you could make it better.
Of course, every business wants to increase revenue and profits, but those things often come from providing a stellar customer service experience, which generates strong brand loyalty and happy lifetime customers. And happy lifetime customers spend more — and spread the good word about your business far and wide.
Jotform offers the largest selection of free form templates available online for nearly every kind of business, including a fully customizable client satisfaction survey that you can easily embed on your website or send via a link directly to your customers and clients.
You can also use our free drag-and-drop survey maker and add your own questions, set up conditional logic, and share your custom survey online to start collecting responses instantly.
You can even consolidate customer feedback from surveys in a single database using our table templates. Choose from among 270-plus free table templates or create your own customized customer feedback log.